History of The Oaks in Orangeburg SC
To fully appreciate our current mission and vision for the future, you must first look at our past. Since its beginning in 1954, The Methodist Oaks has been fulfilling dreams.
The vision of a home for seniors came to fruition for Reverend Dr. J. F. M. Hoffmeyer, our founder, and many others when the South Carolina Methodist Conference purchased the 113 acres of property to be called The Methodist Oaks. Located three miles south of Orangeburg, S.C., the land had previously served as a World War II training base for French and American Air Cadets. Orangeburg South Carolina is a mere 40 miles South East of Colombia SC. Within two months of purchase, the first ten residents, Dr. and Mrs. Hoffmeyer, and a staff of dedicated workers moved onto the campus.
Today, The Methodist Oaks, now known as The Oaks, is situated on 600 beautiful acres of land on the Edisto River. The even terrain has been beautifully landscaped with shade trees and relaxing picnic and recreational areas, ponds and a golf course.
The commitment and foresight of our founder, friends, leaders, and residents have enabled The Oaks to continue to provide the pleasures and privileges of continuing care retirement at its very best in an atmosphere of health, wellness and freedom. Our dedication to service, not only within The Oaks but to the community of Orangeburg and its surroundings, continues to guide our growth.